tisdag 1 november 2011

Ubuntu 11.10 on Thinkpad T420

I share my experience on getting ubuntu 11.10 running on a Lenovo Thinkpad T420.
The computer has a core i5 processor, a 1600x900 screen with a nvidia graphics card and an integrated gpu on the processor. Since I prefer silence before playing games, I have shut off the discrete gpu.
I use a kingston ssd which reaches over 500 MB/s in the ubuntu disk test. Impressive is the least I can say. The computer boots really fast.

This computer has a wonderful feature I did not know of until i unpacked it: a small light on the top of the screen, lighting up the keyboard (controlled via a key combination)!


Update bios
I updated the bios to the latest revision after having install problems. Those problems were related to a faulty hard drive, which is now replaced (note to self: never buy stuff where firmware updates is a news issue). So the bios update may be unnecessary to install. Your mileage may vary.

Bios settings
  • sata mode ahci
  • boot to uefi only
  • turn off discrete graphics
  • turn off "os optimus detection"
  • set boot order to cd before hard drive.
  • enable boot screen diagnostics.
Install
I made an overly complicated install as I only had the normal ubuntu install cd, not the alternate one. To get an adequate level of system encryption, I first installed normally, then live cd booted, created a new luks filesystem inside lvm, copied the install to the encrypted system, chrooted to it and built initramfs and modified fstab and crypttab. A bit tricky, but it works. I recommend using the alternate installer instead.

Fan
The fan is running all the time. I followed the instructions here with the small change that /etc/thinkfan.conf should contain
sensor /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp1_input
sensor /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp2_input
sensor /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/temp3_input
Works like a charm.

The rest
I have not noticed anything that does not work. The buttons I use work as they should (volume, screen brightness). The rest like speakers, usb, touchpad etc. works perfectly.

Left to do
enable trim on the ssd.

Links
debian on t420

Inga kommentarer: